Britain is being battered by storms and heavy winds at the moment which will inevitably lead to an increase in Storm damage claim being made to insurers.
Just look what happened to this man in Winchester this week.
Thankfully extreme cases of storm damage like this aren’t that common but the claims process can still be fraught. A storm damage claim can be a tricky claim to negotiate with your insurers as they will look into aspects such as wear and tear (on aspects such as flat roofs) and the actual wind speed at the time of the loss.
It is therefore important to present your storm damage claim to your insurers in the correct manner.
Our top storm damage claim tips are as follows:
- Record accurately the date and time the damage occurred – this will be needed to verify the wind speed at the time of loss
- Take photographs of the damage as quickly as possible particularly if you need to carry out emergency repairs
- If you have contents damage make a list of the damaged items and do not throw any items away until you have your insurers permission
- Most policies don’t cover damage to fences or hedges
- Your policy booklet or schedule will contain an emergency helpline / claim line number to report your storm damage claim – find this number and report the claim as soon as possible as your insurer may have access to emergency contractors if required such as roofers
- If your claim is large enough a loss adjuster will be appointed to handle your storm damage claim on behalf of the insurer – if this is the case talk to them ahead of the appointment and establish what information they would like available for the appointment
If you need any further help or advice were more than happy to discuss your storm damage claim even if you’re not currently a client.
Contact us or call us now on 01489 579808.